Online Survey Tips

Paying Taxes on Online Survey Income in the USA

Taxes on USA income
Written by SurveyPolice

Claim all income and prizes

All income generated by taking online surveys should be reported on your income taxes. Keep check stubs on file and keep track of any PayPal payments you receive, in case of an audit. As well, you should also be claiming the cash value of gift certificates and other prizes you receive.

Although you might not have to pay taxes on your earnings and prizes from online surveys, it is in your best interest to report them to the IRS. If you must pay tax on your survey earnings, the marginal tax rate will depend on your income and tax-filing classification. All US citizens of the age of majority, are required to file income taxes, and upon doing your taxes, you will learn how much (if any) tax you will pay on your tax return.

Filling out W9s

U.S. law requires market research companies based in the U.S. to report any amount over $600.00 paid to an individual over a single calendar year, to the IRS. If you reach this threshold, the research company will send you a form called a W9, whose information will be sent to the IRS. The form will ask you for your personally identifiable information (full name, address, etc.) as well as your SSN. This is strictly for tax purposes only and is the only time when it is acceptable to provide a research company with your social security number. » Learn more about Form W9 and Online Survey Taking.

Where to report survey taking income

On your tax return, there will be a line (currently, line 21) entitled “Other income”. Use this line to report the sum total of your earnings from survey taking. This line is used to report a variety of sources of income such as include winnings from lotteries, scholarships, rebates, etc. Online surveys income falls under the subcategories, Non-employee Compensation and Rewards and can be included here. However, if you filled out a W9, it may be best to use Schedule C.

Remember, even if you do not make $600 or more in any given calendar year with a single market research company, you must still report any income you make.

***Disclaimer: The information on this web page is not meant to substitute the advice from a professional. Please consult an accountant or other professional advisor to assist you in best using the information presented here. ***

About the author


SurveyPolice is the world's largest online survey reviews website. For over 11 years we have provided ratings on top online survey panels. Compare the best online survey websites and see which are worth joining!

» Find online survey opportunities available to you «

Leave a Comment